My Silver Award from Ventureworthy.com

Sunday, February 10, 2013

The beauty of books :o)

I am a multi project type of crafts woman. I love doing two items at once. So I am doing hubby's Aran Afghan and "I Love This Yarn"'s Cables Afghan. The Cables Afghan was one of the first patterns I had ever done on my own. Everyone in the knit and crochet world knows that reading patterns and performing them correctly as read is not always easy. So imagine me with my Rosey Cheeks skeins ready to give this pattern a shot.
Let me say now that I had NEVER learned to read a pattern. My neighbor Miss Mary taught me how to do patterns. But she would crochet it and I would video tape what she was doing in my head. I would then go home after her lessons and recreate what she taught me from memory. She didn't do "patterns". She created her stuff from her imagination. So me not knowing that a treble is a series of yarn overs was the first problem I ran into. I know now that the number of YO's depend on what you want to achieve. But I didn't know that when I started lol. So I had to Google it. Ok I got that down. Next after the 10 dc's is a fpdc. Huh? What the heck is that? Ok Google didn't have a vid at the time so I begged (yes I said it begged) hubby to please help me. And by help I meant let me buy the help if I could find it lol. So I go back to Hobby Lobby an start looking for any help I could find. I found this: Crochet The Complete Guide by Jane Davis.
 This book has almost everything! This book taught me how to read patterns. It taught me about yarns, threads, ribbons, textures and more. I know reading is fundamental but knowing how to read patterns for crocheting is definitely a must. I now know how to treble :o)  I can make an Irish sprout, berry, leaf, and rose! Woohoo go Ireland! :o)
 Buy it, read it, learn from it. It saved my projects and has taken what Miss Mary had taught me and enhanced it :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment