My Silver Award from Ventureworthy.com

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Class is in session! Can you show me that again??

By now all should know that I am mainly self taught. I take pride in all I learned and I am quite eager to give back. So I offered to help teach my neighbor to crochet.
 She tells me half laughing and half disappointed, that she had paid for knitting lessons in the past. That she had paid for lessons was not the shock, people do it everyday. What upset me was what she said next. She said that the room was full and that the "teacher" never came to give her help. That not once did she come to my neighbor and see if she needed help.  My immediate thought was that this "teacher" got paid by every student and spent no time with any of them. I am pissed off with this! As women and men in the craft world it should be our first job to help our students! If the idea of getting a couple of hundred bucks out of a knitting class makes you happy, then you are definitely not in love with your choice of craft.
I strive to be the best crochetier that I can be. And this means being the best teacher I can be. I will go to every student and answer every question, sit in front of them for one on one demos, anything to help them learn.
 I spent about 1 1/2 hours with my neighbor and at the end before I left she could successfully crochet a chain. It was not perfe t but I didn't require that it should be. I just wanted her to get comfortable with holding the hook, pinching the chain and getting her to pull the loop straight through. She was happy that she could even do that. And I was proud that I could teach her anything at all.
I left her with homework. And I will see her again on Tuesday. And I didn't even ask her for a single dime.

No comments:

Post a Comment